At Foundation-2-Rooftop, Inc., we utilize continous monitors to provide the most accurate radon measurements possible within the short time frame a real estate transaction requires. Most tests take 48 hours, but some may take longer if environmental conditions are playing a factor. We have received extensive training and maintain a high standard of quality control measures to ensure our tests adhere to EPA protocols. Greg Wayman is one of approximately 30 Nebraska licensed Radon Measurement Specialists in the entire state.
Did you know:
- Radon gas is the #1 cause of lung cancer in non-smokers
- Iowa is the #1 state for highest average radon levels...Nebraska is #3, per the EPA
- In 2007, 65% of radon tests submitted by home inspectors and the public in Douglas County returned high...70% in Sarpy County
- The EPA recommends mitigating if the radon level comes back at 4.0 pCi/l or higher
- A radon level of 4.0 pCi/l in your home is the equivalent of subjecting you or your family to 200 X-rays/year
- If you smoke and your house has high radon, you can multiply your chances of getting lung cancer by 10
- Radon mitigation systems cost approximately $800-$1,500
- Every home can be safe, all you need to do is test
- If you are buying a brand new home, a radon test is a good idea, however it's much more important to have your home inspected! Relying on the word from the Builder that everything is ok and that its been already inspected by the city or county is not the same as having your home inspected. To see proof of items found on new construction, click
- For our Buyer clients, always make sure your Purchase Agreement includes a radon test contingency.
- For our Seller clients, always figure the radon test will come out high...based on statistical data from the state.
- If you are a homeowner, our continuous monitors are much more accurate than the cheap charcoal test kits, plus we have the proper training to ensure the tests are adhered to EPA protocol.
- Radon migitation companies offering to conduct radon tests can't be 100% objective. They have a vested interest in the tests returning high so they can land the jobs to install the mitigation systems. There are some unethical mitigation companies in Omaha low-balling the radon test so they can land the mitigation job. Once they get the job, they turn around and make up the loss by inflating their mitigation costs.
- If your home tests high, always make sure you get bids from state LICENSED mitigation companies.
- If your home tested high for radon and you've had a licensed radon mitigation company install a mitigation system, by state law, they are required to retest your home to ensure the levels are now safe. DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO CONDUCT THE RETEST!!! It is a conflict of interest. They are essentially testing their own system and they have a vested interest to have the results come back low. A n unbiased 3rd party Radon Measurement Specialist should be the one performing the re-test.
- Also, DO NOT ALLOW A RADON MITIGATION COMPANY TO HAND YOU A CHEAP CHARCOAL TEST KIT FOR YOU OR THE SELLER TO CONDUCT THE RETEST!!! The charcoal test kits are heavily weighted towards the last 4 hours and are not accurate at all...and WILL NOT DETECT if the Seller had the doors or windows open!
- There are approximately 100 home inspectors in the Omaha Metro and many claim they can provide radon testing, but do not have a state license or proper training. What they do is sub-contract the work out to someone who does have a license and pad the fee. There is at least 1 company stating they can provide a radon test along with their inspections and all they do is give the buyer a charcoal test kit. They don't have a license! Buyer beware!!!
If you would like to research factual information on radon gas, please go to AARST's (American Association of Radon Scientists and Technologists) website at www.aarst.org.