21+ Years Of Inspection Services

2019-03-22 Flood Damage (Omaha Home Inspection)

Flood Damage To Mobile Homes – Part 2:

Electrical components and water don’t mix. No matter how normal the inside of your mobile home appears, however high the water level reached, the wiring, outlets, light switches, and other electrical components were damaged if they were wet. You can spend all the effort of tearing out the drywall, insulation, cabinets, etc., drying the rest all out, properly remediating for mold, then replacing all the water damage with new. 1 week, 1 month, 1 year later, one of those corroded/rusted connections in the wiring that you didn’t replace might arc, and catch the mobile home on fire. Arcing can exceed 2,000 degrees F when it happens. Any wiring and electrical components that got wet needs to be replaced by a licensed Electrician. If the home isn’t dried up quickly, even the wiring that didn’t get wet from the flood water can still become damaged from the high humidity while the place dries out.

In this picture, the water level was approximately 8″ above the bottom of the window.

Any appliance that was under water, no matter how new it was, is damaged. The electrical components of the furnace, dishwasher, fridge, freezer, etc is ruined. They weren’t designed to get wet. These submerged appliances will need to be replaced.

Part 3 will address removing the water damage, taking the proper steps to dry everything out, and mold remediation.